Dec 28, 2009

Science in local newspapers?

I've heard, for couple of times, that (young) scientists don't publish their results in local newspapers very often. How come? is the main question for those who ask. Some say it is the essence of scientific language, that (young) scientist is using too scientific language that is hardly understandable for "lay people". Some say it is the essence of the result that is too specific for "lay people" to understand.

Today I was reading an article on the dissertation of Hans Orru (I don't know him personally), lecturer at UT and PhD student at University of Umea in Sweden. The title of the article is something like "Studded tires are bad for your health" ("Naastrehvid ohustavad tervist"). Some of the article paid attention to this issue, a bit more of it dealed with diseases caused by stove heating. There was also a piece of advice on how to avoid these diseases etc.

So. That was it for me. A researcher had found his niche, he had studied these issues for some good years of his life. But now comes the interesting part! And I think this might be a reason why people are not so very interested in publishing their results in the newspapers.

1. Most of the people (presumably a type of men who are in love with their cars?) leaving comments argue how one or another type of tire works on the road. According to their experience studded tires are the only option. I wonder how many of them bothered to read more than just the title of the article.

2. Quite many people bring out their opinions (naturally in a quite belittling manner towards this particular research) of other reasons that may also cause the diseases mentioned in this article. According their opinion the author of the Thesis should present every reason of the diseases. Especially in this article.

3. Some reveal "conspiration theories" that the reason d'etre of science is not to find out something but just to get results and thereby justify your work (also, who has funded the research).

4. Some notice one of the methods used in the Thesis and think that this really is the only method applied in the Thesis. Why don't you research that living may end with death in another Thesis? they ask.

I do not question the possiblitiy of leaving comments to articles. A great opportunity to leave feedback. But why so angry? So belittling?

It is like couple of days ago when I went to the hypermarket to buy a child seat for my youngest and the salesperson, a bit sadly, said that just after the Christmas holidays people are coming to the shop and they lash out at her. I couldn't understand her in the beginning, but at the food shop I really saw and heard some people like those comment leavers. Nothing was good for them, everything was too expensive, yadda yadda yadda... When I returned to the shop to collect the child seat, I gave her some chocolate. Maybe it helps somehow.

But I don't think we should blame the Christmas. I think that the person who can hide behind anonymity is behaving like this all around the year. So perhaps it is the anonymous nature of the comment-writer that helps to bring out his/her "dark side"?

I'm not actually interested in healing the world but I'm aware that one day I am also expected to present my Thesis in one of our local newspapers. So I know already what is expecting me. And I want to pass this "test" as smoothly as possible.

Of course, it is not compulsory to publish that kind of article. It is just a sign of good will (that was abused in the case of this article) - that you really try to write something in "understandable" use of language and in "understandable" way, coming out of the "ivory tower". It is also not compulsory to read the comments, but I'm just.. you know... too curious;)

There are also other channels where you can present your results in the "popular" way. Different pop-sci Estonian magazines, for examples. The audience is smaller, of course, but their criticism would be probably much more argumented, thus more useful for the author.

No comments: